Location: Brazil or Mexico
Annual Salary - $74,000
Full-time, remote position
Who We Are
Co-Impact is a global organization that supports locally-rooted coalitions in Africa, Asia and Latin America to transform key systems at scale, with a core focus on advancing gender equality and women’s leadership. We bring together funders from around the world to partner with initiatives that are working to improve education, health, and economic opportunity for millions of people by addressing the root causes of social inequities so that systems work better for everyone. For more information, please visit www.co-impact.org and take a look at our Handbook.
Co-Impact has staff in seven countries on five continents: Brazil, India, Kenya, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States, and is established as a U.S. 501(c)(3) public charity. Co-Impact partners with Professional Employment Organizations (PEOs) to employ its staff.
Where You Fit
The Accountant will report to the Finance Manager and will be the initial point person within a 3-person finance team in ensuring the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions in our accounting system. The Accountant will shine behind the scenes while being comfortable communicating across the organization; is detail-oriented knowing that even small things matter when it comes to accounting; can work autonomously but also finds joy in working as a team; and is an adaptable problem-solver using math and technology skills to their advantage.
To date, a portion of our day-to-day transactional work has been managed by a third-party vendor. We’re incredibly excited to bring this function in-house now through the creation of the Accountant role to complement our two other finance team members (the Finance Manager and Chief Financial Officer). The successful candidate will be technically savvy and have experience in the financial systems used by Co-Impact – Sage Intacct and Concur – along with advanced Excel skills.
Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform data entry in accounting system, Sage Intacct, for all transactions ensuring that data in is always current and supporting documentation is complete.
- Process accounts payable and receivable under the guidance of the Finance Manager and in alignment with our organizational Schedule of Authorizations and other policies.
- Perform bank reconciliation process and monitor bank balances, proactively informing management of any cash flow issues.
- Perform month-end close tasks under the supervision of the Finance Manager.
- Process employee expense reports, reviewing for completeness and compliance with organizational policies, and communicate payment requirements to Professional Employment Organizations (PEOs) or HR, where needed.
- Ensure timely release of payments and perform troubleshooting in the event a payment is unsuccessful and respond to vendors on status inquiries.
- Assist with preparation of vendor 1099s (independent contractor tax report required by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service), if needed.
- Suggest improvements to accounting processes to improve efficiency and compliance, supporting documenting processes, where needed.
- Perform bank verifications for all new vendors and Program Partners (our grant recipients) or when updated banking information is received from a vendor.
- Update organizational customer relationship management (CRM) system, Salesforce, with payment status (receivables and payables).
- Support the annual audit process by preparing schedules and compiling supporting documentation, as required.
- Provide training and ensure set up for new employees in Concur for expense reporting.
- Support IT-related relationships/projects, as assigned.
- Support with other financial and overall operational efforts.
Essential Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or a related discipline.
- 2+ years of relevant professional work experience, preferably with foundations and/or non-profits.
- Hands on experience using key organisational finance systems – Concur and Sage Intacct – required. Salesforce is a plus.
- Demonstrated advanced skills using Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong organisational skills.
- Experience collaborating with internal colleagues and external partners to achieve goals.
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of peers as part of a global team.
- Flexibility in working hours, when needed, given globally dispersed workforce.
- Communicates in a positive, respectful manner.
- Fluency in English, and either Spanish or Portuguese, with a strong preference for someone who can speak all 3
Co-Impact’s compensation philosophy is guided by the following three principles:
- Equity and Fairness: Our approach to compensation and benefits are designed to ensure that our global team is treated equitably regardless of location and without regard to gender, race, or nationality.
- Transparency: We want Co-Impact’s employees to understand our salary structure and to feel confident that they are paid equitably, and potential job applicants to have an understanding of how the role for which they are applying will be compensated.
- Accountability: As stewards of the philanthropic resources entrusted to us so that we can support our program partners, we are accountable to our donors and our board, to our staff, and to the general public.
In accordance with that philosophy, we include the salary for each position in our job postings; to ensure equity within the organization and for all candidates, we will not negotiate the salary or benefits. The salary for this role is US $74,000 per year (paid out in local currency where applicable) plus a generous benefits package, including a significant allowance for paid time off.
Please apply online here by submitting a resume and a one-page cover letter by February 16th, 2024. In your cover letter, please confirm that you are authorized to live and work in Brazil or Mexico, as relevant. Because we are a small team, we regret that we can only respond to applicants selected for an interview. We also regret that we are unable to participate in informational calls prior to interviews. Thank you for your understanding.